29 August 2011

Orienting, Acclimating, and Deutsch

I moved in and there are so many new things happening at every moment that it is impossible to process it all.  I have settled (a little) and am starting to meet all of the people who work here at the Mount.  I live in a wonderful house (called Saint John's!) with a family.  They have two children (ages 9 and 12) who will be attending school during the day but will be home at night.  I have gotten along very nicely with the family so far.  They all drink coffee which was a great relief to me. The other trainee in the house is a boy from Germany who is taking a gap year before he goes to University.  (My use of the word 'college' instead of University has caused great confusion when I try to explain what I spent the last four years doing!) There are thirteen new trainees here including me but I am the only American.  Eight of them are German, two are Chinese, two are Brazilian and one is from the UK a few hours north of here.  Since so many of them are German, I hear a lot of German during the day.  They laugh at me when I try to pronounce German words and I won absolutely no fans when I asked if they all liked Polka music and Immanuel Kant.  Go figure!  The language barrier is very fun at times and we are all having a great laugh about it.

Every time I try my hand at a little "Wie geht's" they all erupt into laughter.  

So far it has been mostly learning and cleaning and a bit of fun.  The grounds are incredible (pictures to come).  The students come on Tuesday!  I cannot wait to meet them.  I have two girls in my charge who will be sharing a room next to me.  There is a lot to learn and it is all coming very fast. I can hardly remember where to go for each of the classrooms and workshops I'll be working in.

Here's my new room, all to myself!  Pictures of the outdoors to come....


No comments:

Post a Comment