12 September 2011

Weekend.

During the week, the schedule is VERY busy.  I am working with the first year students and so they take classes in a little bit of everything.  This is great for me - because I really get a taste of everything at the Mount.  It is also quite a run-around!  Literally a RUN around.  About half of class time is spent just trying to find escapee students :)  "How could I possible lose 4 students in a half hour tea break...?"  I am asking myself on a regular basis.  

The weekends offer a bit of a different flavor.  On Saturday, breakfast is an hour later than usual (so 9:00) which means we all get a little extra sleep.  The mornings are spent cleaning which is an absolutely fabulous feeling.  Everyone has a job and so the whole house gets a complete scrub down.  I am in charge of the girl's bathroom and laundry room.  The washing is very therapeutic and really helps to prepare yourself for the rest and reflexion that is to come.  The cleaning also allows for some one on one time with the students since they are working alongside the co-workers.  It is a great time for conversation and getting to know each other.  The feeling of sitting down with your house after the cleaning is so wonderful.  I have lived in various degrees (mostly on the lower half of the spectrum) of cleanliness in college and living in a place that is floor to ceiling sparkling gives me such pride.  The students can also feel the importance of their roles in this community as they contribute to these domestic tasks. The house really feels prepared for the special day that is Sunday.  How nice to set this day aside!    

After the cleaning routine, everyone in the house showers, dresses and prepares for festive supper.  Festive supper is a silent meal of bread, cheese, and cold meats that starts with a blessing of the meal and ends with the reading of a bible passage.  It is a little strange to eat a meal with others in complete silence, but it also very refreshing.  I think I fear silence a little and it nice to have an opportunity to embrace it.  After supper, it is quiet time for the students and usually meetings for the staff.  Sunday brings the service.  The service here is unlike any other I have attended and I will need more time to process it until I can write it all down.

Sunday afternoon?  Usually an outing!  This week, we went to a castle.

 When I was little my conception of England was rain boots every day and visiting castles whenever you felt like it.  That's actually pretty close to the truth.  Lately, I have been pretty homesick.  So I have to remind myself often that God is with me always and also that it is really cool to take field trips to castles.       

No comments:

Post a Comment